Nicole Landi, Ph.D.
I am an Associate Professor of Psychological Sciences at the University of Connecticut and the Director of EEG research here at Haskins Laboratories. My research focuses on language and reading development in typically developing children, and in children with complex neurodevelopmental disorders, including dyslexia, DLD, and autism. I use multiple methodologies, including ERP and MRI, as well as imaging genetics approaches to explore the underlying neural bases of typical and atypical language and literacy development.
Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, 2005
Cognitive Psychology & Cognitive Neuroscience
For a full list of publications with links to PDFs go here: https://landi.lab.uconn.edu/publications/
- Maupin, A. N., Rutherford, H. J., Landi, N., Potenza, M. N., & Mayes, L. C. (2018, online advance publication). Investigating the association between parity and the maternal neural response to infant cues. Social Neuroscience. DOI:10.1080/17470919.2017.1422276
- Hämäläinen, J. A., Landi, N., Loberg, O., Lohvansuu, K., Pugh, K., & Leppänen, P. H. T. (2018, online advance publication). Brain event-related potentials to phoneme contrasts and their correlation to reading skills in school-age children. International Journal of Behavior Development. DOI: 10.1177/0165025417728582.
- Landi, N., Malins, J. G., Frost, S. J., Magnuson, J.S., Molfese, P., Ryherd, K., Rueckl,J.G., Mencl, W.E. & Pugh, K. R. (2018). Neural representations for newly learned words are modulated by overnight consolidation, reading skill, and Age. Neuropsychologia, 111,133-144.
- Earle, F. S., Landi, N., & Myers, E. B. (2018). Adults with language impairment fail to consolidate speech sounds during sleep. Neuroscience Letters, 666, 58-63.
- Irwin, J., Avery, T., Brancazio, L., Turcios, J., Ryherd, K., & Landi, N. (2018). Electrophysiological indices of audiovisual speech perception: Beyond the McGurk effect and speech in noise. Multisensory Research, 31, 39 – 56.
- Landi, N. & Cutting, L.E. (2017). Global Approaches to Early Learning Research and Practice: Integrative Commentary. New Directions for Child and Adolescent Development, 158, 105-114.
- Landi, N., Avery, T., Wu, J., Crowley, M. J., & Mayes, L. C. (2017). Prenatal cocaine exposure impacts language and reading into late adolescence: Behavioral and ERP evidence. Developmental Neuropsychology, 6, 369-386.
- Rutherford, H.J.V., Maupin, A. N., Landi, N. Potenza, M.N. & Mayes, L.C. (2017). Current tobacco-smoking and neural responses to infant cues in mothers. Parenting, 17, 1-10. doi: 10.1080/15295192.2017.1262176
- Irwin, J., Avery, T., Brancazio, L., Turcios, J., & Landi, N. (2017). Electrophysiological indices of audiovisual speech perception in the broader autism phenotype. Brain Sciences, 7(6), 60. DOI:10.3390/brainsci7060060
- Turcios, J., Cook, B. Irwin, J., Rispoli, T. & Landi, N. (2017). A familiarization protocol facilitates participation of children with ASD in electrophysiological research. Journal of Visualized Experiments, 125, e55941. DOI:10.3791/55941.
- Jasińska, K. K., Molfese, P. J., Kornilov, S. A., Mencl, W. E., Frost, S. J., Lee, M., … & Landi, N. (2017). The BDNF Val 66 Met Polymorphism is Associated with Structural Neuroanatomical Differences in Young Children: Implications for Cognitive Development. Behavioural Brain Research, 328, 48-56.
- Harwood, V., Preston, J., Grela, B., Roy, D., Harold, O., Turcios, J., … & Landi, N. (2017). Electrophysiology of Perception and Processing of Phonological Information as Indices of Toddlers’ Language Performance. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 60, 999-1011.
- Landi, N., & Ryherd, K. (2017). Understanding specific reading comprehension deficit: A review. Language and Linguistics Compass, 11(2). DOI: 10.1111/lnc3.12234
- Earle, F.S., Landi, N. & Myers, E.B. (2017). Sleep duration predicts behavioral and neural differences in adult speech sound learning. Neuroscience Letters, 636, 77-82.