Maria Arredondo, Ph.D.
National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow in the Baby Lab, Haskins Laboratories
Developmental Psychology, University of Michigan, 2017
|MS||Psychology, University of Michigan, 2013|
Psychology and minor in Sociology, University of Houston, 2010
My research focuses on understanding how bilingual infants and children acquire their languages. More specifically, I am interested in the neuro-cognitive mechanisms supporting dual-language learning and proficiency, as well as how culture can support children during this process. Lastly, I investigate how these mechanisms provide diverse and multilingual children with the skills to succeed academically. The methods of my studies have included experimental designs, neuroimaging (fMRI and fNIRS), standardized assessments, surveys, and one-on-one qualitative child-friendly interviews.
- Arredondo, M. M., Hu, X., Satterfield, T., Tsutsumi Riobóo, A., Gelman, S. A., & Kovelman, I. (2019). Bilingual effects on lexical selection: a neurodevelopmental perspective. Brain & Language, 195, 104640. Doi: 10.1016/j.bandl.2019.104640
- Arredondo, M. M., Hu, X., Seifert, E., Satterfield, T., & Kovelman, I. (2018). Bilingual exposure enhances left IFG specialization for language in children. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 1-19. Doi: 10.1017/S1366728918000512
- Arredondo, M. M., Hu, X., Satterfield, T., & Kovelman, I. (2017) Bilingualism alters children’s frontal lobe functioning for attentional control. Developmental Science. Doi: 10.1111/desc.12377
- Arredondo, M. M., Rosado, M. & Satterfield, T. (2016). Understanding ethnic identity development and its impact on Spanish literacy for U.S. Latino children. Journal of Cognition and Culture, 16, 245-266. Doi: 10.1163/15685373-12342179
- Kremin, L., Arredondo, M. M., Hsu, L. S., Satterfield, T., & Kovelman, I. (2016). The effects of Spanish heritage language literacy on English reading for Spanish-English bilingual children in the U.S. International Journal of Bilingual Education and Bilingualism. Doi: 10.1080/13670050.2016.1239692